History of emmanuel house
The beautiful and substantial stone home, once known as the "Ivy Lodge", was owned by one of Hamilton's wealthiest families. The building was constructed in 1862 by Frederick W. Fearman, who owned an international meat packaging operation that still exists today as a division of Maple Leaf Foods.
In 1998 Good Shepherd converted the mansion into a 10-bed supportive housing residence for individuals living with HIV/AIDS and other life limiting illnesses. Over time, the need for residential care for HIV/AIDS decreased and Good Shepherd took on the challenge of developing a community residential hospice for the city.
Emmanuel House owes its existence to the perseverance and hard work of the Brothers of St. John of God, who faced many challenges to make this dream a reality. Today, Emmanuel House provides quality of life, family wellness, respect and a chance to continue to live with dignity for those who are facing the most difficult and emotionally charged time in their lives.